What Should You Do If You Lose Your Passport in Majorca?

By | 21 June, 2016 | 0 comments

Club MAC Passport

Before you jet out to Club MAC Alcudia for a fabulous summer getaway, you need to ask yourself: what should you do if you lose your passport in Majorca? By researching this topic now, you can gain the peace of mind you need to truly enjoy your time in the Balearics this summer!

Getting back home

The Passports Office explains what you should do if you lose your passport, or if it is damaged, stolen or expires while you’re abroad. For security reasons make sure the old passport is cancelled and if it has been stolen, report it to the police. Then, try and get a replacement passport, but if you can’t do that then get an Emergency Travel Document (ETD) which will let you leave Majorca and come back home.

An ETA is only valid for a specific journey and it allows you to travel to either the UK or the country you’re living in via up to five different countries. An ETD doesn’t automatically allow you to enter a country if you need a visa to do so, but you won’t need to worry about that if you’re flying direct from Majorca to the UK, as both lie in the EU. With an ETD you can only travel to the destinations included on your application and if your travel plans change, you’ll need to apply for a new ETD.

Applying for an ETD

If you need to get an ETD while you’re in Majorca, you will need to contact the British Consulate in Palma. You will need to apply in person and the Consulate advises that if you’re due to travel within 48 hours of losing your passport, contact them as soon as possible. Otherwise you should make an appointment to visit the Consulate and apply for an ETD. Bring the following to your appointment:

  • A filled out ETD application form.
  • The £95 application fee in euros.
  • A recent passport-quality photo of yourself.
  • Proof of your travel plans e.g. booking confirmation.
  • A police report if your passport has been stolen.

Keep it secure

Of course, you will want to make sure that you never have to apply for an ETD, so you should also think about how to keep your passport secure while you’re in Majorca. At Club MAC Alcudia, we’re committed to ensuring that you have the peace of mind needed to enjoy your Majorcan getaway. You can hire a safety deposit box or a safe when you stay in one of our rooms, so that you can keep your passport secure throughout your getaway and truly appreciate your time in the Balearics!


Categories: Holiday tips, Travel