What to Do When You Lose Your Suitcase
To ensure there’s nothing that can bring you down when you arrive at Club MAC Alcudia for the holiday of your dreams, this week we reveal what to do when you lose your suitcase.
Bad Things Happen to Good People
As an outstanding family holiday resort in sun-kissed Majorca, Club MAC Alcudia understands that you can be as prepared as you like; sometimes bad things just happen to good people.
Every holidaymakers worst nightmare and although it is rare, sometimes – through no fault of your own – you can arrive at your destination only to find your suitcase has been lost. At this point, we’d forgive you for thinking ‘well that’s my holiday ruined.’
A Guide to What to Do you Lose Your Suitcase
We may forgive you for it, but at the same time it’s really not the case. If you lose your suitcase, you need to take the following steps to ensure it doesn’t ruin your week of fun in the sun…
- Report it to the Airline: The first step is to report it to the airline so they can find it. They have 21 days to find it for you; at that point it’s considered lost. Whilst you’re speaking to them, check and see if their policy covers the cost of any emergency payments you need to make because you’ve lost your suitcase.
- Ring Your Travel Insurance Provider: If you hope to cover the cost of lost luggage, you need to let your insurance provider know right away. They’ll be able to tell you what your policy covers, so you know what you can spend to compensate for your lost suitcase. F.Y.I, this is why you need to find effective travel insurance before you fly.
- Access Your Rainy Day Fund: You won’t get any monetary compensation for your lost suitcase in the immediate future, which is why it’s always a good idea to put away a rainy day fund before you fly. Once you’ve let the airline and insurance provider know, whip out your debit card and use your extra cash to buy the essentials.
- Enjoy Yourself: At this point, you’ve done everything you can for now. Let it go, explore your fabulous destination and enjoy yourself. You paid for this holiday, there’s no point letting a missing suitcase stop you from getting your money’s worth. Although while you do, keep in contact with the airline to see if they’ve found your lost suitcase.
- Lodge a Claim: If you’ve not received your suitcase before you fly home and it’s not been found after 21 days, it’s officially lost. Now, you can claim compensation. Make a list of what you’ve lost and submit it through the airline’s required channel to claim compensation. Alternatively if your policy allows, you might want to claim though your travel insurance.
Don’t Let a Lost Suitcase Drag You Down
In other words, there’s no guarantee that once your suitcase is lost, you’ll get it back. However if you follow this guide, not only will you put yourself in the best position to find it, but to cover any costs incurred as a result of losing it. Either way, don’t let a lost suitcase drag you down on the holiday of lifetime!